Overlook Taylor Swift. Lena Dunham, who? The popular culture feminist of my goals is none aside from Amber Rose. This weekend, the mannequin – who initially captured fame’s consideration because the shorn-headed girlfriend of Kanye West – hosted Amber Rose SlutWalk in Los Angeles, her very public response to the slut-shaming she and different ladies have confronted. Based mostly on the unique SlutWalk, which launched in direct response to an incident the place a rape sufferer was shamed and blamed for her assault due to her apparel, this occasion was kind of Amber’s feminist popping out social gathering, however she’s been spouting gems about feminine empowerment for years. I fucking LOVE Amber Rose, y’all. I might go on and on about all of the the reason why she is the last word dangerous bitch (don’t fear, that’s additionally within the identify of her upcoming guide) and new feminist icon, so you realize what? I’M GOING TO.
1. She is real in her help of different ladies and encourages fostering positivity over dwelling on insecurity and jealousy. “When you see a beautiful woman, compliment her… even if you feel insecure,” Rose as soon as suggested. “Do it! You’ll feel good.” And she or he’s proper! It’s straightforward whenever you’re feeling down on your self to take a look at others who seemingly possess what you don’t — appears, cash, fame, success, expertise, no matter — and to type of resent them for it. Inside the realm of feminine relationships, this type of jealousy solely retains us all down. “It’s important for women like myself to put that out there and let other women know that it’s okay to embrace other women’s beauty and sexuality,” she advised Cosmo. Hell sure.
2. She doesn’t let white supremacy or the patriarchy dictate what sort of conduct is okay. Rose briefly began stripping at age 15 — out of necessity, thoughts you, as her household wanted the revenue — after which began stripping recurrently when she was of authorized age. Her prior historical past as a stripper has been on the middle of a lot of the slut-shaming she has endured from trolls on Twitter, to varied boyfriends, to a few of her extra well-known foes — and it hasn’t escaped her discover that society appears down on sure varieties of intercourse staff greater than others. In an interview with Curve again in 2011, Rose stated:
“This one time I was Milan and I’m literally around multi-millionaires and billionaires at this dinner and Dita Von Teese gets on stage and she gets buck naked and she spins around in a big martini glass and everyone clapped for her. And it’s bullshit. It’s not fair that it’s OK for her to do it because she doing it for rich white people but you know I was in like, the hood, and I did what I had to do to survive… and I constantly get ridiculed.”
She’s proper. Dita Von Teese strips for a dwelling — nothin’ fallacious with that! — however calls it “burlesque” and is rewarded with lingerie strains and a modeling contract with MAC, whereas Amber Rose does the identical, albeit in much less “fancy” settings, and she or he’s handled like trash. And she or he ain’t havin’ that.
three. She doesn’t take low cost photographs at those that take low cost photographs at her. Amongst those that have mocked her for her stripper previous? Kanye West and his new Kardashian household. First, Kanye famously stated that he needed to take “30 showers” after courting Amber earlier than he might get along with Kim, a bullshit low blow that Rose’s equally badass mom Dorothy mocked by holding this signal at SlutWalk over the weekend:
Whereas Amber Rose responded on Twitter by laughing that Kim had let “Ray J nut on her,” the aim wasn’t to demean Kim for her prior sexual historical past or the intercourse tape that made her well-known, however to level out the hypocrisy of Kanye’s diss. Later, she defined that she has nothing however respect for Kim’s come up.
“I never ever hated on [Kim’s sex tape],” she stated. “I’m all for a woman making something out of nothing. You know what I mean? If you can do something and bring your entire family on and make millions of dollars, that’s dope to me. I love that.”
four. She isn’t afraid to name out males for abusing their energy. So, about that Tyga and Kylie Jenner factor. Amber is sweet buddies with Blac Chyna, who dated Tyga proper earlier than he obtained with Kylie and is the mom of his baby. Again in February, when Kylie was nonetheless technically underage (she and Tyga have undoubtedly been collectively since earlier than it was authorized), Amber informed NYC’s Energy 105.1, “Kylie’s a baby. She needs to go to bed at 7 o’clock and relax. Tyga should be ashamed of himself.”
Now, name me loopy, however Amber Rose shouldn’t need to be the one calling out a gross 25-year-old man for sleeping with a excessive schooler — her sisters ought to be doing it. As an alternative, Khloe went straight for Amber’s stripper previous as soon as once more, saying she shouldn’t throw stones from glass homes. As a result of stripping is identical factor as fucking a minor, I assume? No matter, Khloe.
5. She is unapologetic about who she is and what she’s finished. One other one that has tried to chop Amber down through the use of her stripper previous towards her? Her on once more/off once more boyfriend Wiz Khalifa, with whom she has a younger son. These two used to look so in love, however once they broke up — Amber apparently busted him dishonest with twins — he wrote a music about her that referred to her being “just a stripper.” Even when Amber Rose was “just” a stripper, that’s a hell of quite a bit higher than being a person who income off trash-talking his son’s mom.
Apart from, anybody who thinks calling Amber a “stripper” is an insult says a lot extra about them than it does her. Not that she cares. “I just stopped giving a fuck about what people say,” Rose has stated. “One day, I just woke up and I was like, ‘You know what? I can’t sit around and stress anymore about the Internet and what people say about me. I just gotta do me.’” And doing her is what Amber Rose does greatest.
6. She is compassionate and forgiving, even in the direction of those that haven’t earned it. At SlutWalk this previous weekend, throughout which she held an indication that learn “Strippers have feelings too,” Rose broke down in tears as she spoke concerning the terrible issues her exes have stated about her — after which provided her forgiveness to each of them.
“I want to forgive Kanye for what he said about me,” Amber stated. “I want to let all that negativity go.” Relating to Wiz, she defined, “He came out with that song and that really hurt me because all I did was ever love him. I just loved him so much and gave him a beautiful son and to be told that I was nothing but a stripper, um, it hurt.”
“I also forgive Wiz for what he said. Wiz actually apologized to me already, so I have forgiven him,” she continued, talking on to the gang. “I suggest that you guys do the same and I’ll tell you why. Because you can’t … they’re ignorant at times, people are ignorant and you have to be the bigger person and be the positive person to forgive and move on and help other people around you that have been through the same thing.”
7. She makes use of social media to taunt her haters by reclaiming the slurs they’d like to make use of towards her. “Be strong and you know, just hit ‘em back,” Rose suggested in an interview. “Especially on social media, hit ‘em back with something positive and with facts, instead of arguing. Really understand that we are humans, that we are allowed to be sexual beings. That anything a man can do, we can do. We’re very smart. We’re just as smart as a man.” For instance:
@lilduval Lol 😂😂😂 ur mad af. #HoesBeWinning
— Amber Rose (@DaRealAmberRose) October four, 2015
U Guys Love Slut Shaming Huh? Good. I feed off that shit. #HowtobeAbadBitch 💋 pic.twitter.com/RnxcF7gUcp
— Amber Rose (@DaRealAmberRose) March 7, 2015
She has reclaimed phrases like “thot,” “whore” and “gold digger” and routinely makes use of them mockingly on her Instagram feed. Amber is intimately accustomed to the contradictory messages that inform ladies they have to be attractive, whereas on the similar time shaming them for it. In any case, strip golf equipment don’t keep open on their very own and Wiz and Kanye have been each comfortable to be courting “just a stripper” — till they weren’t. To not point out, the concept any lady who dates a well-known man have to be a gold digger is pervasive, no matter whether or not she pays her personal payments, as Amber does. Phrases like “gold digger,” “THOT” (which stands for “that ho over there” or “that ho on Twitter”), whore and slut are flung at ladies for any infraction, particularly on social media — so Amber cuts that shit off on the move, through the use of these phrases as hashtags on her personal Instagram posts, reclaiming them for herself to allow them to’t be used as insults. That’s fucking rad.
9. She refused to only be somebody’s muse. Kanye West has stated that if it wasn’t for him, “there would be no Amber Rose.” He’s not incorrect within the sense that Amber first captured consideration as his girlfriend — however she took that ball and ran with it, garnering extra media consideration than the typical rapper’s girlfriend because of her distinctive look. Lately, a few years post-Kanye, she is arguably much more well-known, and on her personal benefit. Her e-book, How To Be A Bad Bitch, might be launched by Simon & Schuster later this month, she’s being managed by Mariah Carey’s ex Nick Cannon, and she has a task within the upcoming “Zoolander” sequel. That’s nothing to sneeze at.
10. She’s an adamant supporter of homosexual rights. However extra importantly, in extending her 15 minutes of fame right into a full blown profession, Amber has discovered a chance to unfold consciousness about points which might be extremely necessary to her. She’s a longtime supporter of LGBTQ points, and identifies as bisexual herself.
“I believe that you can love anyone,” she has stated. “I’ve had relationships with women, I’ve had relationships with men. I don’t think you should be judged based on who you find attractive.” In one other interview, she emphasised:
“I’ve always been the type of person who’s non-judgmental. I always picked up for the gay kids in school. When I got into high school I wasn’t really the dork anymore, I got kind of popular. But I used to be a dork so when I’d see kids making fun of gay kids or nerds or kids that were overweight I just kind of stepped in. I just feel like you can love anyone. It’s not against God. I think that God makes all of us individuals and he makes us who we are and I just believe that love is love, you know?”
11. She makes use of her platform to unfold a robust, constructive feminist message and to advocate for ladies and women. Which brings me again to SlutWalk this previous weekend. Amber Rose took the mountains of on-line harassment and cruelty she has skilled by the hands of supposed family members and complete strangers and turned it into one thing constructive, internet hosting her personal SlutWalk occasion and alluring ladies from all walks of life to hitch her in standing towards sexual harassment, violence, rape, slut-shaming and intercourse employee discrimination. And whereas she used her identify to attract consideration to the occasion, she was aware about educating herself on the origins of the SlutWalk motion and giving credit score to the founders in interviews prematurely of the occasion.
“It seems as though the authorities and men would blame the women, basically insinuating that they wanted to get touched because they had on a short skirt or they had a bra top — that they were asking for it,” Rose stated in a current interview. “I know from personally having male friends, there would be a girl in the club that was maybe dancing very sexy and she had a short skirt, and they would be like, ‘She’s DTF. She’s ready to go.’ And I’m like, ‘Maybe she’s just having fun with her friends and she doesn’t like you and she doesn’t want to have sex with you.’ But usually, men — and women, also — would look at a girl like that and assume that she was not just having a good time.”
Over the course of her time within the highlight, Amber Rose has been an advocate for ladies and women, has been vocal about not being ashamed of expressing herself sexually and has been abundantly clear in her message that how a lady clothes and what she does for a dwelling doesn’t give anybody the best to her physique with out consent.
“I like to dress provocative. I’m happy about my body. I work very hard at my body,” she as soon as stated. “And if I wear my cleavage out or I wear a short skirt, it does not mean I’m going to go have an orgy in the next five minutes. I could go be picking up my son or going out to eat, or whatever the case may be. It’s my body, it’s my choice, I can wear what I want, and it doesn’t mean I want you to touch me.”
Preach, Muva, preachhhh!
Unique by Amelia McDonell-Parry